The Lady Grey Sew-Along kicked off a few days ago with cutting out the pieces for the muslin.
I became overzealous and lazy – two qualities which don’t really seem to belong together. I ended up assembling most of my muslin this evening (overzealous) and I have decided I probably won’t make any changes (lazy).
The point of a muslin as I understand it is to create a tester version of your garment. The muslin is usually made out of inexpensive material ideally with the same weight and drape of your finished product material. During the muslin stage, you would measure and mark any appropriate changes to your pattern – taking it out in the waist, taking in the bust, etc. This is to ensure that the final garment will actually fit you the way it’s supposed to, because as we know, all bodies are different and there are countless combinations of bust/waist/hip measurements out there. As well, it will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration if you’ve discovered that you cut out and sewn a beautiful piece of clothing… that doesn’t fit you.
Anyway, my muslin seems to fit me like a glove, so I think I might just go ahead and make the size 8 as is without trying to tailor it. While this would be a great opportunity for me to learn some tailoring skills, I don’t have a lot of time on my hands right now and would prefer to get this coat done sooner rather than later, which I think I can do if I just stick to the pattern as it is.
Also, I have two other Colette Patterns to work on while fall is coming.