Well, it’s been awhile since I’ve sewn anything, but I am just getting over a bad cold and I had a lot of time to discover some inspiring sewing blogs and break out the sewing machine. Earlier this week, I started the Ceylon dress by Colette Patterns. I finished it last night just in time for a lovely lunch out with some friends today and a short trip out of the city to take a look at a potential wedding venue, which is where the above photo was taken.
This dress seemed very intimidating to me at first. The last time I tried gathering fabric to create a ruffled look, it was very difficult (because I did it incorrectly). This dress has a lot of that, but it was a lot easier this time around (because I did it correctly). As well, I learned how to make buttonholes. I ended up making fourteen of them; the pattern calls for sixteen but I shortened the dress considerably so that it would be knee-length on me.
I bought the material so long ago that I unfortunately don’t know what it’s made out of. I’m going to venture that it’s a polyester blend. It’s quite a comfortable medium-weight, not too heavy but not too light either. I wanted red buttons to contrast the dress and I think it looks rather nice. I might try to find a thin white belt to finish off the outfit.
This was definitely a successful pattern. It wasn’t difficult and I managed to learn a few new skills too. I even did a few French seams thanks to a tutorial from Gertie’s Blog For Better Sewing, as this dress does not have a lining and I wanted some of my seams to be neater (such as the sleeves and the back skirt).
The wedding venue was, by the way, beautiful and affordable. We’ll continue thinking about it before we decide to put down a deposit since we’re also considering some other options, but I loved it.